Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Raceface Evolve XC Cranks
  • giantjason
    Free Member

i have installed these cranks (08/09 model) and now need to take them off to get the chainline fine tweaked.

they look as if they need the raceface x-type self extract nut on them like this but when i try to screw it in the cap doesnt fit.

I have tried a isis crank extractor and tried unscrewing the central nut and hitting the crankset with a mallet but nothing seems to budge them!!!

Can anyone advise how i get the cranks off?

alexonabike

I have the previous model, They have a built in self extractor IIRC, just slot an 8mm alan key in the centre and turn anticlockwise until the crank drops off. You will notice resistance all they way, but especially at the start.

giantjason
    Free Member

the self extractor cap will not fit into the existing hole on the cranks……….how do i get them off and what tool do i require?

when looking at the raceface website and instruction manuals they still say to use the self extractor.

i think mine is the previous model as it has threads for the self extracting cap. Did this cap come in different sizes?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

The extractor cap should still be in the middle. Did you buy these second hand?
    I had the 2006 versions and they still operate on an identical principle as this years.
    I think you need to get some pictures posted on here of what you actually have. This way we can advise you better.

alexonabike

I’m sorry, but i don’t fully understand.

You don’t need any additional extractor, just use an alan key in the 8mm socket and unscrew.

Basically when installing the cranks you use the 8mm to attach the crank to the axle by turning in a clockwise direction, to take the crank off use the same 8mm but turn anticlockwise.

Sorry if that make no sense… i’m not good with words!

Dudie
    Free Member

You have tried screwing the extractor cap in anti-clockwise I take it?

Drac

You use a 10mm allen key to extract 8mm to fit.

http://www.raceface.com/comp/inst/EvolveXC-AtlasCrankset.pdf

Dudie
    Free Member

…err sort of. 10mm to fit/remove the extractor cap. 8mm used on the crank bolt to fit or extract. Undoing the 8mm crank bolt against the cap pulls the crank arm off

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Giant Jason you need to remove the central bolt (8mm) and use and isis extractor. For the sake of progression RaceFace removed the self extarcting bolt option. How do i know – i have the same cranks.

giantjason
    Free Member

racing_ralph – can you give me a link to an isis extractor that you use please

racing_ralph
    Free Member

bog basic one from ice toolz i think.

ebay linky

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Raceface Evolve XC Cranks’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM